This isn't really a post about any progress on the house, but thought I would share an adventure we had on trying to go check out the house yesterday.
I got a bike for Christmas! Well, I havent' really ridden a bike since I was about 10 so I'm still pretty shaky. Although for some reason yesterday I thought it would be a great idea to take a bike ride down to the house to check it out. It's about 6 miles down there (so 12 miles round trip). So I fill up the camelbak with water, bring the digital camera, some tissues (since I have a cold), some money in case we want to stop for something. And we are off....
The first 2 miles are a lot of stop and go because of all the stop lights. It's a pretty busy area so not like we are riding around on nice scenic streets. Of course for me who can't control the bike so well, riding down the street with cars going by at about 50mph is a little scary. We end up stopping at a bike stop, so Ian can get a helmet. And it was on the way. Now its actually pretty nice riding (lots of farms and not as much traffic) although they are doing lots of road construction as well. About a mile and a half from the house, I realize that my handlebars on my bike are twisting away from me. Ack...so I stop...and yup, the long ride must have loosened things up to far. I thought I could still make it...so we kept going. Yeah..that didn't work so well. Very difficult to ride a bike when your handlebars are sliding all over the place. (you can tell Ian put the bike together very well!, just kidding)
We ended up close to a Walgreens, so we stop there and try to figure out what to do. We didnt' bring the allen wrench (not sure how to spell that), so had no way of tightening it up again. Thought we could use the phone at Walgreens to call someone to come and pick us up, but we could only remember one number. Too reliant on the phone book in the cell phone. And of course he didn't answer. Bad thing, we find out later, he was home, but didn't pick up cause it was "walgreens". Laugh. The closes Home Depot that was open (we had passed one .5 mile back but it wasn't open yet) was right by where we came from. So we decided to walk back to the bike shop to get it fixed there. That was a long walk! Like 4 miles.
Unfortunately we saw an accident on the way back too, incredibly sad. A lady was out walking her dogs and apparantly didnt' have much control over them. Definitely learned that if your dogs are not well trained, do not take them out for a walk on a street where the cars are going 50 mph! So one dog got away from her and got hit. I hope I never have to see that again. That was awful.
Well, we made it back to the bike shop got things all tightened up again and were on our way back. Think the adventure lasted like 4 and a half hours. And I woke up sore all over today. Guess all that exercise was good though.
Sunday, February 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment